Saturday, October 21, 2006

Blessings from the orphanage...






On Saturday afternoon (Oct. 21st), we went back to the Village of Peace Orphanage, this time to play with the younger children (7 and under) as the older kids were off doing something else. This changed the dynamic entirely and the little ones were so eager to climb into our laps and snuggle up. One little girl named Hae-Yun is so spirited and beautiful and she took a real interest in the picture books we brought along. She climbed right up onto my lap and then wanted to spend a lot of time just leaning into me while I held her and rocked her. So many of the other little ones created special bonds for the afternoon with various individuals (in our family and amongst the students who came, as well as with another family - the Roberts from Idaho, who are amazing and becoming good friends). I am reminded of Christ's call at the beginning of His ministry when He uses the book of Isaiah to say "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour." (Luke 4:18-19) I am also pondering the many verses in scripture that talk about caring for widows, orphans and foreigners in our midst - the vulnerable in society, those without power and voice. Looking into the eyes of these precious children today I was moved and humbled and I pray God will claim every one as His own. I also pray He will continue to teach us what it really means to be His church and to care for everyone in need in this wide and broken world.

No comments: